Friday, June 27, 2014

Religious Camp

This morning I went to the doctor's office to pick up Vivian's immunization record. Jo needs it for a religious camp that Vivian is attending for three days from this Sunday.


It's run by a liberal Islamic open-minded organization and we know the Imam. Mixed in with fun camp activities like swimming and playing, there will be the usual Koran readings, discussions, time for Vivian to reflect and write about her relationship with the Prophet, and Islam-themed craft making. Jo is not muslim and I'm an atheist. But Vivian's close friend is going to this camp, so we thought why not. Vivian doesn't have her own Koran. I'm sure they will give her one. And she doesn't - at least overtly, believe in religion or know much about Islam which may make for a rough few days. But hey, what's the worst thing that could happen? She ends up a devout muslim for life.

ps. Is this weird? I have a confession. This post is slightly misleading. Replace muslim/Islam/Prophet with Christian/Jesus. As I said, only slightly misleading. The real question is: Is it still disturbing?

No comments: