Evan and Vivian were chatting at the dining table. Suddenly,
Evan: "Is Kerby a puppy?"
[Kerby is Carol's Dachschund - an old dog]
Vivian: "No - she's old. She just looks small"
Evan: "How old is she?"
Me: "She's an old lady. In dog years even older then Grandma"
Me: [a moment later] "Please never tell Grandma I said that"
Evan: "Older than Grandpa?"
Me: "No"
Evan: "Is she going to die soon?"
Vivian: "Please don't talk about Kerby dying. Just thinking about it is making me cry"
Evan: [gleefully rubbing his hands together] "What will happen if Kerby dies tomorrow..."
Vivian: [crying]
Evan's a beast. But his bark is way worse than his bite.
These days he's watching a pretty bad shoot-em-up alien show on Netflix called "Ben 10". With full and total focus. While he and Vivian were in the midst of a Netflix mind meld this evening I was in the kitchen cutting a lemon. The knife sliced my finger - a small cut. I must have let out a rush of breath - I didn't even realize I had made a sound. In the midst of the roar of alien weapons from the next room I hear Evan.
"Daddy - are you Ok?"
Evan: "Is Kerby a puppy?"
[Kerby is Carol's Dachschund - an old dog]
Vivian: "No - she's old. She just looks small"
Evan: "How old is she?"
Me: "She's an old lady. In dog years even older then Grandma"
Me: [a moment later] "Please never tell Grandma I said that"
Evan: "Older than Grandpa?"
Me: "No"
Evan: "Is she going to die soon?"
Vivian: "Please don't talk about Kerby dying. Just thinking about it is making me cry"
Evan: [gleefully rubbing his hands together] "What will happen if Kerby dies tomorrow..."
Vivian: [crying]
Evan's a beast. But his bark is way worse than his bite.
These days he's watching a pretty bad shoot-em-up alien show on Netflix called "Ben 10". With full and total focus. While he and Vivian were in the midst of a Netflix mind meld this evening I was in the kitchen cutting a lemon. The knife sliced my finger - a small cut. I must have let out a rush of breath - I didn't even realize I had made a sound. In the midst of the roar of alien weapons from the next room I hear Evan.
"Daddy - are you Ok?"
No comments:
Post a Comment